Four Easy & Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes for You to Try This Week
It’s worthwhile investing in a slow cooker for those one-pot wonders. A slow cooker can be an essential tool in the kitchen, especially on those winter nights when you arrive home and the last thing you want to do is cook and clean up. It is as simple as preparing all the ingredients, add them to the slow cooker, let simmer for several hours and voila, done! The appliance itself is a heatproof ceramic pot inserted into a metal outer casing. Low, even heat from the side allows for a simmer which creates tender, delicious meals such as stews, soups, curries and casseroles.
Tips for using a slow cooker:
- Prep ahead. Cut and trim any meat, chop vegetables and measure out any liquid ingredients the night before so all you have to do is add them together in the next morning.
- Thaw meat, poultry or frozen vegetables before cooking. Placing frozen food straight in the cooker affects cooking time and food safety.
- Trim the fat to reduce the extra kilojoules and fat content
- Add herbs and spices at the end of simmering for extra flavour
Moroccan Beef Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 750g Beef Chuck Casserole Steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick or quill
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 400g can crushed tomatoes no added salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) beef stock
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 75g fetta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds, toasted
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Steamed broccoli florets
Step 1: Place oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook one-third of the beef, turning for 3 mins or until browned all over. Transfer to the bowl of a 20-cup (5L) capacity slow cooker. Repeat with remaining beef.
Step 2: Add the onion, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, tomato, stock, and sweet potato to the beef in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, on low for 6 hours, or until beef is tender.
Step 3: Spoon the beef mixture into serving bowls. Sprinkle with fetta, almonds and coriander and sliced lime wedge, add steamed broccoli for added fibre, vitamins and minerals
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chilli
- 200g can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 200g can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups cubed unpeeled sweet potatoes (Added fibre)
- 1 cup chopped brown onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
Step 1: Combine tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, broth, onion, bell peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and garlic in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are tender, which will be about 6 hours.
Step 2: Serve into bowls and stir in coriander, chilli and lime juice to serve as desired
Ratatouille with Lentils
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 small eggplant peeled and cubed
- 400g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp fresh crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 medium yellow squash halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Step 1: In a slow cooker, combine lentils, undrained tomatoes, eggplant, onions, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, water and black pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4½ hours. Add fresh herbs and serve.
Vegetable Minestrone soup (Suitable while on Be Rapid – 2 vegetable serves)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 400g can no-sodium-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups no-sodium-added vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
Step 1: Combine carrots, celery, onion, garlic, green beans, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Step 2: Stir in zucchini, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more. Serve immediately. Can freeze extra serves for another day, for a quick meal when hungry.