Customer Service: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:00pm
We hear the term ‘metabolism’ all the time – but what does it really mean and how does it impact the way we lose or gain weight?
Your metabolism refers to complex chemical processes that your body goes through, to keep your body ticking along – things like effectively burning the food you eat for fuel or repairing damaged tissue. In terms of weight loss and management, your metabolism impacts how much energy your body burns at any one time.
Lots of Be Fit Food customers come to us with damaged or impaired metabolisms after many years of dieting and binge eating (and everything in between!).
One way to get your metabolism functioning well again is adopting a very-low-calorie-diet, which is also low in carbohydrates. This type of diet is designed to induce mild nutritional ketosis meaning your body switches from using carbohydrates as fuel, to using your stored body fat.
Using body fat as fuel can help your metabolism to function better through stabilizing blood sugar levels, improving the blood fat lipid profile, and helping decrease insulin sensitivity – a precursor to Type 2 Diabetes. This is what we refer to as a metabolism reset.
Alongside these internal changes, a metabolism reset can help to rapidly reduce your body weight – improving your motivation and encouraging you to stick to a weight loss program long-term.
If you want to know about the metabolism, and it’s role in weight loss and overall health, speak to one of our dietitians. Consultations are free, over-the-phone, appointments that can be booked online and you can book these at any stage in your journey – we want to help you feel great again!
Before starting a new way of eating, we encourage you to seek medical advice and undertake a medical check-up, particularly if you have a medical condition and/or are taking medications.
Our Dietitians are here to support you on your health journey, whether you want to lose 2kg or 20kg! Consultations are done over the phone and take around 15 minutes. So pop on the kettle, and book a chat with one of our team, to start planning how you can eat yourself better.BOOK A CONSULTATION
1. Lantz H, Peltonen M, Agren L, Torgerson JS. Intermittent versus on-demand use of a very low-calorie diet: a randomized 2-year clinical trial. J Intern Med. 2003;253(4):463-71.
2. Ganesan K, Habboush Y, Sultan S. Intermittent fasting: the choice for a healthier lifestyle. Cureus. 2018;10(7):e2947.
3. Tancic-Gajic M, Vujovic S, Vukcevic M, Ivovic M, Drezgic M, Marina LV et al. Effects of alternating fasting or very low-calorie diet and low-calorie diet on metabolic syndrome in severely obese patients. Hippokratia. 2012;16(4):335-341.
4. Merra G, Gratteri S, De Lorenzo A, Barrucco S, Perrone MA, Avolio E et al. Effects of a very-low calorie diet on body composition, metabolic state, and genes expression: a randomised double blind placebo-controlled trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmaco. 2017;21:329-345.
5. Gallagher D, Heshka S, Kelley DE, Thornton J, Boxt L, Pi-Sunyer FX et al. Changes in adipose tissue deposits and metabolic markers following a 1-year diet and exercise intervention in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabtetes. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(12):3325-3332.
Please enter a valid four digit postcode.
Unfortunately Be Fit Food doesn't ship to that postcode yet.
Enter your email below and we will notify you as soon as your location becomes available.
Thank you! We will let you know as soon as we deliver to your part of the woods.
There was a problem submitting your email.
Estimated Delivery:Additional Delivery Dates & Order Cut-Offs